Leading Ethically Only is an educational outreach of Leadership Ethics Online (LEO). Essays range widely--from ethical analysis of the news, to ethical challenges to leaders in society, to personal reflections of an ethical nature. We welcome your thoughts and criticisms to make us better.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On Personal Responsibility: A CREED

I AM RESPONSIBLE

by

John D. Willis

I am responsible for myself, to myself.

I am the only person holding the power to control me today.
No one else has that power.
I am responsible for controlling me today.
No one else is responsible.
I take all responsibility for my self-control, its effects on me and others, today.
No one else gets the praise or blame but me.

I am responsible for my thoughts.

I am the only person holding the power to control my thoughts today
No other person owns my thought process but me.
I am responsible to controlling my thoughts today.
No one starts or stops my thoughts but me.
I take all responsibility for my thoughts, their effects on me and others, today.
No one can make me healthy-minded but me.

I am responsible for my emotions.

I am the only person holding the power to control my emotions.
No person expresses or withholds my emotions but me.
I am responsible for controlling my emotions today.
No one affecting my emotions can control my emotions but me.
I take responsibility for my emotions, their effects on me and others, today.
No one can make my emotions work well except me.

I am responsible for my words.

I am the only person holding the power to control my mouth.
No other person opens my mouth or moves my lips but me.
I am responsible for controlling my tongue today.
No one holds back good words, or issues bad words but me.
I take responsibility for my words, their effects on others and me, today.
No one has my words today except me. 

I am responsible for my actions.

I am the only person holding the power to control my actions.
No other person makes me do anything but me. 
I am responsible for controlling my actions today.
No one prevents my good deeds, or does bad deeds but me.
I take all responsibility for my actions, their effects on others and me, today.
 No one else can do the good I can today but me.
 
I am responsible for me, all I am, and all I do.

I am alive today!
Yesterday is gone, tomorrow is uncertain.
I have a God-given purpose.
I am alive to think, say, and do all that pleases my Maker.
I have a brain and unique talents and skills.
I am the only person like me alive, so do my best.
I will see people today only I will see.
I am in their lives for good, never harm.
I will see opportunities no one else sees.
I must use them for good, never evil.
 I will remember my Maker today.
I need God's help for all these things.

AMEN


Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved
Request Permission To Reproduce 
jwillis@leadershipethicsonline.com

No comments: